Importing or creating CAD geometries
Whether you want access to simulation directly from within your design environment, need to import CAD assemblies or create new geometries, STAR-CCM+ has the solution.
Geometries may be created in design software and are usually setup for design and manufacturing needs rather than for simulation purposes. Furthermore, complex model structures and realism make the meshing process more cumbersome. STAR-CCM+ has the right tools to ensure that a clean geometry is available for meshing.
When a geometry is created in native CAD software, it can be handled in any of the following ways to facilitate downstream meshing:
- CAD Clients: STAR-CCM+ CAD Clients directly transfers geometric and parametric information to STAR-CCM+. This direct transfer allows STAR-CCM+ to read user chosen design variables thus allowing you to drive design changes from within STAR-CCM+, or stay within the CAD and simply push new designs into your simulations. STAR-CCM+ CAD Clients also allow meshing within the familiar CAD software thus eliminating or reducing the need to transfer or prepare the geometry further in STAR-CCM+.
- CAD Import: STAR-CCM+ also has the ability to import a wide variety of Neutral, CAD and PLM formats. You can either just use the geometry as imported or these files can be read into the 3D-CAD function of STAR-CCM+ and you can make parametric modifications to your designs, and when you have found the best design you can export them back to the designers.
- CAD Creation: When geometry needs to be modified or when new geometry needs to be created, STAR-CCM+ makes that possible with the included powerful and fully parametric 3D feature-based modeler. Geometry tools include sheet & solid creation, external and internal flow domain extraction, imprinting, exposing geometry parameters for downstream design exploration and optimization.
Powerful meshing tools
STAR-CCM+ can quickly, easily and efficiently prepare and generate meshes for the most complex geometries. Using manual and automatic surface preparation tools, STAR-CCM+ cuts geometry preparation and meshing time down from weeks and months to hours.
- Meshing pipeline: STAR-CCM+ employs a pipeline methodology to ensure that the path from initial geometry to mesh can be easily and robustly automated. Each step in the meshing process may be executed in sequence, or independently, with a common set of user parameters.
- Surface preparation: STAR-CCM+ gives users choice and flexibility when preparing surfaces for volume meshing. An extensive set of operations are available for surface preparation including: error diagnostics, fine grained manipulation of surface primitives, topological identification, defeaturing, boolean and imprinting operations on triangulated surfaces.
- Automatic surface wrapping: STAR-CCM+ revolutionary and unmatched surface wrapping technology has enabled users to reduce their surface preparation times by several orders of magnitude. Surface wrapping will allow you to extract any fluid domain from any geometry with any degree of accuracy.
- Volume mesh generation: STAR-CCM+ offers a range of volume mesh generation technologies that include polyhedral, trimmed hexahedral for increased accuracy & efficiency, prism layer for capturing the boundary layers accurately. For multi-domain studies such as conjugate heat transfer and FSI, fully conformal meshes can automatically be created. If a hand built grid is needed STAR-CCM+ provides the directed mesher to build swept grids, which can use existing grids or user created quads for the sweep. You can also use the thin mesher, for sheet metal components, and the generalized cylinder mesher, for long piping systems.
- Parallel meshing: STAR-CCM+ has unrivaled parallel meshing technology allowing full use of compute clusters for meshing thus circumventing issues with serial meshing as they need a single node with a large amount of memory.
Regardless of the geometry, STAR-CCM+ streamlined CAD to Mesh process helps ensure minimum time, and thus cost, for you and your team build high quality, run-ready meshes.